Life isn’t always easy. When times are challenging it can be tough to see the bright side. Life is harder to enjoy and appreciate when everything feels like it’s going wrong. But you’ve weathered hard times before, and you’ll successfully do it again.
While nothing can make a hard situation easy, there are things you can do to make it easier.
Use these tips to overcome challenging times and get your life back to normal:
- Focus on what you can control. Ignore what you can’t. There are some things you just can’t control. Other people’s actions, the weather, the stock market, and your height are a few examples. Fortunately, there are things you can control. It makes sense to put your attention here. Time spent worrying about things beyond your control is a waste of time and energy. Your time is limited, so use it wisely. Remember that the most successful people are those that use their time most effectively.
- Remember all the previous challenging times you’ve overcome. This isn’t the first challenge you’ve faced. You’ve overcome lots of things. You just haven’t thought about them lately. Remind yourself of how capable and resilient you can be. Your current challenge will suddenly seem a little smaller.
- Just breathe. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, bring yourself back to reality by focusing on your breath. Feel the air moving in and out of your body. Spend a few minutes on this and you’ll feel better. Your breath is always with you and focusing on it will bring your mind back to the present.
- Take care of yourself. When times are hard, our natural tendency is to neglect ourselves. It’s easy to think that your grooming, eating, and sleeping habits are inconsequential, but that’s not true. No matter what is going wrong, make an effort to continue taking good care of yourself. You still need healthy food, sufficient sleep, and a little self-respect to be at your best.
- Be willing to say, “No”. When times are tough, avoid taking on additional responsibilities. The best way to do this is to use the word “no” judiciously. Don’t worry about upsetting anyone. They’ll figure it out. Give your attention to yourself.
- Laugh. Laughter is magical. It feels good, and it gives hope. What makes you laugh? It might be a comic book, funny movie, or a humorous friend. Think about what makes you laugh and spend some time laughing each day.
- Exercise. Exercise is good at burning up excess emotional energy. It’s also healthy for you. When you’re feeling stressed, a good workout can do wonders.
- Practice gratitude. Hard times focus your attention on your negative situation. Your mood will lighten if you focus on something positive. What are you grateful for? Make a long list of everything that’s good in your life. You’ll feel better and more capable.
- Delegate. Hopefully, you’re not completely alone. Put the people in your life to work. Ask them for help. If you’re completely frazzled, you might be able to find someone to run errands or to watch your kids. You can delegate at work, too. Lean on others.
Remember that your life hasn’t always been easy. Things have always gotten better, even when you were sure they wouldn’t. Use these tips to make your life a little easier and make yourself more capable.
Use your time and focus to turn things around, rather than to make yourself even more miserable. Remember that you’re not alone. Brighter days are ahead.
Use the Success Acceleration Planner to stay focused on your Life Vision and track your progress toward your goals.